Benefits of Drinking Zobo also known as Hibiscus Sabdariffa or Sorrel leaves.
Zobo is the common name given to a drink in Nigeria gotten from a flower called, Hibiscus Sabdariffa also known as Sorrel leaves.
Besides the unique taste and flavour of this popular drink, many do not know its nutritive benefits.
Zobo is a leafy green vegetable that looks a lot like spinach. This vegetable is native to Europe and is commonly known as spinach dock, sour grabs, or sour grass.
One of the main ingredients in sorrel is oxalic acid, which gives it its acidity and prominent taste. Sorrel is extremely low in calories and high in water content, which makes it a healthy food choice for health conscious individuals.
Some of the other important nutritional information and facts about Sorrel are:
• It is an extremely rich source of vitamin A, B9, and C.
• It is a good source of vital minerals such as potassium, magnesium, sodium, iron, and calcium.
• Being rich in oxalic acid, sorrel may not be an ideal choice for everyone, especially those suffering from rheumatism, bladder, and kidney stones.
• It contains powerful laxative properties and over consumption may result in diarrhoea.
• It is low in energy content but provides adequate dietary fibres.
When Zobo is prepared with organic honey and ginger for a delicious drink, it combines the following benefits:
• Weight Loss: Though honey has more calories than sugar, when honey is consumed with warm water, it helps in digesting the fat stored in your body. Similarly, honey and lemon juice aid weight loss.
• Inflammation of the colon: a study carried out at the University of Michigan Medical School found that ginger root supplement administered to volunteer participants reduced inflammation markers in the colon within a month.
• Muscle pain caused by exercise: a study involving 74 volunteers carried out at the University of Georgia found that daily ginger supplementation reduced exercise-induced muscle pain by 25%.
• Nausea caused by chemotherapy: Ginger supplements administered alongside anti-vomiting medications can reduce chemotherapy-induced nausea symptoms by 40%.
• High blood pressure (hypertension): a study reported in the journal Pharmaceutical Biology found that cassumunar ginger extract was more effective than prazosin hydrochloride in reducing blood pressure in hypertensive laboratory rats.
• Dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation): Ginger can help reduce the symptoms of pain in primary dysmenorrhea (period pains)
Drinking Zobo can now be more than a delight. It should come with awareness that every drop comes packed with tons of nutrition for the body.
Use google enhanced tool to find post via abujarock.com