Vacancy Id: IYF/HQ/HR/480
Position title: Spokesperson
Category: FTA International
Duration: One Year (Renewable)
Supervisor/Report to: Chair, Press Commission
Job type: Voluntary Service (VS) Part-Time
The International Youth Federation is an international non-profit youth organizations network governed by the present Statutes and the Swiss Civil Code. It is neutral politically, and non-denominational, aim to empower youth worldwide.
The Office of the IYF Spokesperson for the Secretary-General provides information to the media on the activities of the IYF as a whole through daily briefings, direct responses to media enquiries, press conferences, background briefings and interviews with other senior officials. The Office provides advice on media relations to the Secretary-General, the Assistant Secretary-General and senior HQ/Regional officials. The Office also keeps the Secretary-General regularly informed of major breaking news stories around the world.
Under the supervision of the Chair, Press Commission, the Spokesperson representing senior management and the larger organization on the record vis-a-vis the media. She/he also serves as Communications Adviser to the organization on emerging issues.
To voluntarily represent, positively promote, and uphold the mission of “Empowering youth for better world” in various programs and opportunities throughout the IYF interventions across member countries.
• Serves as a key point of contact between the IYF and the international media, providing on-the-record interviews and/or background information as necessary, and otherwise representing and speaking for the organization.
• In close collaboration with the Press Operations team, develops and maintains strong relationships with leading journalists and key media organizations, including print, television, new media, etc.
• Responsible for in-depth coverage of specific regions and thematic youth-related topics as they relate to the IYF’s areas of work.
• Responsible for the monitoring of the media for coverage of the IYF and other relevant news, identifies trends, and provides advice to the IYF leadership in this regard.
• Anticipate questions and drafts corresponding answers in preparation for any possible press encounters by the Secretary-General.
• Strategic planning and creative thinking.
• Planning and Organizing.
• Collaboration and Teamwork.
• Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management, and reporting.
• Ability to lead and manage corporate strategic initiatives.
• Excellent computer, internet, social media and information system skills.
• Highly interest in youth empowerment, youth issues.
• Relevant experience in media/press or communication is required.
Skills Required For Position
• Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
• High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
• Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, members, volunteers and other supporters.
• Ability to interact cordially and communicate with a diverse community.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to assess and evaluate situations quickly, accurately and effectively.
Experience and results preferred at national level preferred in communications/media role, development, communications, blogging, youth issues, sport, women empowerment, youth-led organizations or another relevant field.
Fluency in English with superior drafting skills is essential.