The first storey building in Nigeria is located in Badagry, Lagos State. The foundation of the building was laid in 1842 and was completed three years later, in 1845, by Henry Townsend.
Rev. Henry Townsend (1815–1886) who is also the founder of the first newspaper in Nigeria, was an Anglican missionary in Nigeria. After his priestly ordination in England in 1842, he set off for Sierra Leone where he work only a few months before coming to Nigeria as a result of the Yoruba mission.
The structure was occupied by Samuel Ajayi Crowther, the first African Church Missionary Society (CMS) Bishop when he undertook the translation of the Holy Bible from English to Yoruba. It was also used as Vicarage for saint Thomas Anglican church.
The building, which is now a tourism site is 173 years old, has continued to be a site of historical significance because of continued maintenance and preservation of its originality.
An article published by Premium Times on July 10, 2017 stated that the building recorded an amazing 7,433 tourists in 6 months. The article reads;
The first storey in Nigeria located in Badagry, Lagos State, recorded 7,433 visitors from January 2017 to July 2017.
Hodonu Daniel, the officer in charge of the building , told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Badagry that the tourists that visited the 171-year-old structure in the first half of 2017 were higher than those that did within the same period in 2016.
Mr. Daniel said, “We have been able to attract more tourists to this site because of its proper maintenance and our ability to preserve its originality.
“In the first six months of 2016; 3,767 people visited the monument compared to 7,433 visitors and tourists that visited in the first six months of this year.
See photos of the building below;
It should also be noted that there is a controversy about this building as the Hausas in Northern Nigeria claim they had built some storey buildings before this building was erected.